I remember when I used to love blogging... XANGA! and before that LIVEJOURNAL.
Maybe I feel like I don't have a "voice" anymore. I think that's a longing in the depth of the hearts of everyone. To be heard, to be known.
Something I've been meditating on lately is a phrase I heard while listening to "The Shack" earlier this month. "Authentic relationships are based on submission."
It's natural to cringe when you hear that word "submission" because it may bring negative connotations to your mind. You mean, I am supposed to deny my own needs for the needs of another? That's hard for us as humans. We're all selfish beings looking out for our own best interests.
It's also hard because most times when we've gone there, acted selflessly and made ourselves vulnerable, we've been hurt. Nobody likes to walk into something where they will be left brokenhearted, right?
So maybe we do nice things for people because, "I will feel bad if I don't" or "They will think I'm a bad person/friend/sister/brother/etc" or whatever. It's still not acting submission because it's all about how YOU will feel.
So yeah.. I've been thinking and meditating on that. What's true sacrifice look like?
1 comment:
It's good that you pointed out that it shouldn't be about how WE feel; if our actions glorify God, we've done the right thing. We're not supposed to be making ourselves feel good or to just be a better person/sister/friend/etc; we're supposed to be salt and light. Thanks Nickie!
Post a Comment